Sunday, June 30, 2013

Rose Petal Jelly

I LOVE reading food blogs so many great ideas & inspiration...  like this one from Cupcake Rehab ~

ROSE PETAL HIBISCUS TEA JELLY  

sounds amazing - right?  well, anyway the rose petal thing inspired me and I not could find a recipe that made sense to me (grams/ and dried petals? )   so, I just took what I know about canning & I must say I was very pleased with how it turned out ~ wonderful!  not too sweet, SO flowery & pretty pretty pretty!!!  
1 cup fresh unsprayed fragrant rose petals 
1 cup sugar  
2 tablespoon lemon juice 
2 cups water 
1 1/2 tablespoon Ball low/no sugar pectin 
1/3 cup sugar  (additional)
1 pat of butter
Trim white tips off petals with scissors rinse and dry
Combine petals, 1 cup sugar and 2 tablespoons lemon juice and let sit for 24 hours 
...add mixture to stainless steel steel sauce pan, along with water and 1/3 cup sugar 

Simmer on med low for 25 min
 OMG!!  this smells SO amazing  =) 

Return to medium add pectin and a pat of butter - boil 5 min 
~ sieve to remove petal pulp and pour into prepared jars  (sorry, I did not take a photos of this this step, petals will become all mushy and loose their color - you could add a few fresh petal to the jars before sealing for looks) 
~ Carefully wipe down rim of jars, place lids and bands on jars 
~ Hot water process the jars...   
8 oz jars for 15 min
4 oz jars for 10 min
Let jars cool completely - check seals (refrigerate if seal is questionable) store in a cool dark place. 
YUM!!!
Here is another rosy blog post I stumbled upon today  - ukrainian preserved rose petals (rozha z tsukrom)
very interesting ....  I just might try something similar to this next year  =) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

please share your thoughts!!!