Sunday, May 6, 2012

Rhubarb ♥

We have Rhubarb, it came with the house - my husbands grandmother planted it, presumably a bit more than 15 years ago... so when I read about how it only produces for 10-15 years i think to myself - rubbish...  but to be safe I plan on purchasing more this fall pretty and  I am debating between Chipman’s Canada Red Rhubarb for Gurneys.com and Starkrimson® Rhubarb from starkbros.com look at that gorgeous red color!
Rhubarb Custard Pie served up on one Grandmas dishes - she'd be proud !
Today, I finally made to out to the patch after the morning showers, picked a big bundle off the stuff and returned to the kitchen...  just then my Husband stumble in saw rhubarb and immediately requested pie -   I I found a crust in the freezer, but no eggs, so he set off to his dads down the road to borrow a couple eggs...

Rhubarb pie is good, but with custard - it is AMAZING!
The recipe I (rather loosely) base my pie off of is is here (they call it cream, but IMHO eggs = Custard) I also, use a couple dashes of cinnamon and cloves instead of nutmeg and reduce the sugar by 1/2 cup...   and add a splash of vanilla to the custard (and pre-bake the crust & cover edges with foil when baking the pie) - today used only Rhubarb and no top crust (my favorite variation but it is good with or out without strawberries  (*when using strawberries add an extra tablespoon of four) and with a single or double crust) delish every time - it must be the custard!!!  


 Next I started on new a brilliant new concoction...

Rhubarb Lime Compote
1 lb Rhubarb (diced into 1/2 pieces) 
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon lime juice 
Mix everything together in a bowl... heat oven to 325 degrees.  Line a bakers half sheet (18x13x1 inch) pan with parchment and pour mixture onto sheet and spread out... bake at 325 degrees for 30 minutes. remove from oven and serve warm or cool.  I certainly could have eaten the entire bathe warm with a spoon but, I ladled it into jars to be refrigerated for later use - served over ice cream, cake or with whipped cream...  perhaps all three  - YUM!!



well I ran out of Rhubarb (for now) so I had to postponed making....
Rhubarb Lime Syrup 
by: http://hitchhikingtoheaven.com  



and 

Rhubarb Fruit Leather with Strawberries, Honey, and Cinnamon
by: http://sweetdomesticity.blogspot.com/




Ms. and Mr. Rose-breasted Grosbeak 






No comments:

Post a Comment

please share your thoughts!!!