Friday, August 10, 2012

pickles!!

I just finished this years first batch of pickles - ain't they pretty!?!!!



They are the refrigerator variety - Tomorrow is Ribfest at the ole ponderosa!!!

anyway, I am not one for "recipes" when making pickles -  kind wing it most of the time. Yes, I am reckless like that, but I have yet to disappoint myself  =D

so, today I began with a 1/2 gallon jar...
2 smallish-med onions thinly sliced sliced
1 yellow pepper thinly sliced
about 2 lbs of fresh pickles

I layered them as you can see -  SO pretty  - lol!

Then added 1 cup water + 1 cup cider vinegar...  and a little more water to fill...

Topped it off with about 1/3 teaspoon salt  6 pink pink peppercorns (bc/ i had em and they are prettier),   a 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder (wish I had the real stuff - that.s the way to go!) and about 1/2 teaspoon pickling spice and 2 rounded teaspoons of sugar.

put on the lid - shook it up - tasted...  not to shabby I must say =)
Snapped a photo and popped it into the fridge.


No comments:

Post a Comment

please share your thoughts!!!